Tuesday 18 September 2012

Day 28: The weather has gone from lightning and thunderstorms to boiling heat again. The light breeze which we had has gone with it and the air is stuffy and dry. The last week went by so incredibly quickly, I blinked and it was the weekend, on Saturday i had my first lie-in which was well overdue and I was so grateful for the extra sleep seen as this community is so intense. I went on a hike up one of the mountains I see everyday, it has a large cross right on the peak and at night when it is lit up and the mountain is invisible against the sky, it looks like it's floating. The hike was very hot and quite tiring but it was fantastic to stand next to the cross and stare down at Mostar while eating Curley Wirlies ( thanks to my great mum who thought of sending them out), and to share the experience with everyone.
   School has been fairly stressful, partly because I am still not completely settled with the subjects I am doing and may change some again, and also because there are always things going on, meetings for CASs and projects weeks, etc. One of the most interesting things that has been happening unofficially is the discussions between students. Often in my free blocks I have been drawn into conversations where people have been comparing and debating their different political systems and ideals. I have learned so so much through this which I really don't think I would have known otherwise. The tensions between countries also becomes very apparent when having these non official discussions over hot chocolate - only about £1.20 and so, so good by the way - but they are still enjoyable and there are no personal hard feelings afterwards. It is becoming more and more obvious to me how multicultural and multinational education is the way forward, not only for cultural understanding, but for tolerance and ways of acceptance which can really not be taught any other way than to be in the same environment as people who have completely different out looks to you. A full education should not only be comprised of academia, creativity and sport, there is also humility, tolerance and compassion that are vital for the human race to learn so that we can exist together and thrive in a globalised world without conflict and offensive behaviour caused by ignorance. An international society which learns from eachother and brings eachother alive is a beautiful thing and at this college I am beginning to glimpse it's existence and potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment